Baked chicken breasts are delicious and easy to make. They can be served as an appetizer or a main course. Baking is one of the best ways to cook poultry because it preserves its flavour while cooking. The key to baking chicken breast successfully is choosing the right oven temperature. If you set the heat too high, the outside will burn before the inside cooks through, and if you set the oven too low, the interior won’t get hot enough to brown properly. So, how long does it take to bake chicken breast at 400?
How long it takes depends on how thick the chicken breast is. For instance, a boneless skinless chicken breast that’s about 1/2 inch thick should only take 10 minutes per side in a conventional oven. However, thicker pieces may require more time. In general, most recipes recommend 15-20 minutes for a 3/4 -inch -thick piece of chicken breast. However, this doesn’t apply to everyone. Some people like their chicken well done while others prefer it medium-done thus, the outcome narrows down to personal preference.
How to bake chicken breast
Ensure your oven has been preheated correctly to achieve the best results when baking chicken breast at 400. Also, have all elements ready, so they’re not covered with food. Finally, don’t crowd the chicken breast; leave space between each piece.
Furthermore, you need to check the internal temperature of the chicken breast after 20 minutes. To do this, insert an instant-read thermometer into the centre of the meat without touching any bone. Once inserted, wait until the reading appears on the display. Then remove from the oven and allow the chicken breast to rest for 5 minutes before serving.
Steps to follow when baking your chicken breast
1. Preheat your oven to 400 °F.
2. Place the chicken breast between two sheets of plastic wrap and gently pound them flat until they’re roughly even thicknesses. Remove the top sheet of plastic wrap and place the flattened chicken breast into a shallow pan. Repeat this procedure with the second sheet of plastic wrap—season as desired and set aside for the chicken to absorb the flavours of the seasonings.
3. Brush both sides of the chicken breast evenly with olive oil. Sprinkle salt and pepper over the surface of the chicken breast.
4. Cover the bottom half of the pan with aluminium foil and put it in the preheated oven—Cook the chicken breast for 20 minutes. Then remove the cover and continue cooking for another 5 to 7 minutes. When finished, let the chicken rest for five minutes before serving.
5. Serve immediately or refrigerate overnight. To reheat, pop the chilled chicken back into the microwave for 30 seconds. Or, warm up in a 350 degree F oven for ten minutes.
Essential Tips for best results
1. Don’t overcook the chicken breast. If you do, then the meat will be dry and tough. Instead, cook it until its internal temperature reaches 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Use a large skillet when flipping. It makes flipping easier than a small one. Also, it aids in browning the chicken breasts without burning them.
3. If you don’t have an instant-read thermometer, check the juices inside the chicken after removing it from the oven. The juice should run clear. If there’s still blood present, return the chicken to the oven for another few minutes.
4. Use only as much seasoning as necessary. Too little won’t give enough flavours, while too much may overpower everything else on your plate.
The best seasonings for baked chicken breast
1. Olive Oil – Olive oil adds great flavour to the chicken and also helps in keeping it moist.
2. Salt & Pepper – These spices help bring out the flavours in whatever you prepare. But, too much of either can overwhelm other tastes. Therefore, you must season your dishes appropriately.
3. Garlic Powder – Garlic powder gives off a strong aroma that goes well with most foods. Garlic is a go-to seasoning in every chef’s kitchen.
4. Cinnamon – Cinnamon is known for being sweet yet spicy. Since ancient times, the spice has continued excellent results due to its unique properties.
5. Chili Flakes – Chili flakes provide heat to many different types of recipes. If you like its flavour, ensure to add enough to season your chicken.
Baking chicken breast is easy. All you need is a good recipe and proper preparation techniques. After all, you will have your chicken ready in 20 minutes. I hope our guide answers your questions about how long to bake chicken breast at 400. You deserve to enjoy delicious chicken breast every time you bake it.
Also check: How Long to Air Fry Frozen French Fries.