If you have not tried making tater tots in the air fryer, then you are missing a lot. The potatoes are crunchy and crispy on the outside while still being soft inside. Moreover, the tots taste great with any of your favorite toppings. They taste as if they are made from scratch and can be served at parties or family gatherings without having to worry about them getting soggy. So, if you are wondering about how to air fry tater tots, let me give you a brief explanation.
To air fry the tater tots, you need to have an air fryer that is capable of cooking food for more than 10 minutes. You also need to make sure that it has enough space so that all the ingredients fit into one compartment. Otherwise, if you are cooking more than your air fryer can hold, divide the potatoes and cook in chunks. The process of air frying takes only 15-20 minutes depending on what size you want your potato pieces to be. Now that we got that out of the way, here’s how to air fry tater tots;
Air-fry tater tots recipe: Ingredients:
• 1/2 cup flour
• 2 eggs
• Salt & pepper
• 3 cups frozen Taters
• Oil for frying
1/2 cup water
• Optional ingredients: Cheese, bacon bits, onion, etc.
1. Preheat your air fryer to 400 degrees F.
2. Add oil to the bottom of the basket. The oil helps prevent sticking when using this method.
3. In another bowl mix together the egg and water until smooth. Next, add the flour and stir into a fine texture. You can exclude water if the tots are not too many.
4. Next, place the frozen tater cubes in the batter and gently fold them over. Make sure there aren’t too many large lumps. This will help ensure even browning.
5. Place the coated tater cubes in their fryer basket and repeat step 4 again.
6. Cook for 10-15 minutes as you flip each batch once halfway through.
7. Remove from heat and set aside ready to serve
Important tips when air frying tater tots
1. If you don’t like the texture of the cooked tater tots, just pop them back into the oven for 5-10 minutes before serving. It won’t take long and they will come out perfectly.
2. When adding cheese, try sprinkling some on top after removing it from the air fryer. That way, the cheese melts evenly throughout the entire dish.
3. For best results, use fresh tater tots instead of frozen ones. Frozen tater tots tend to get mushier during air-frying.
4. To keep things simple, use old white cheddar cheese. However, you can experiment with different flavors such as blue cheese, parmesan, ranch dressing, sour cream, etc.
5. Don’t forget to season your tater tot bites with salt and pepper. These snacks should always be seasoned because they absorb flavor very easily.
• Calories per Serving: 150 calories
• Fat Per Serving 0 grams
• Carbohydrates Per Serving: 30 grams
• Protein Per Serving. 20 grams
• Fiber Per Serving, 7 grams
• Sodium Per Serving; 100 milligrams
The nutritional value of tater tots depends on which brand or type of tater tots you buy. Some brands contain fewer carbs while others may include extra toppings. So if you’re looking to lose weight, check the label first. Also, remember that these amounts vary based on the amount of servings you eat.
What to serve with tater tots
Tater tots are great served hot off the air fryer but they taste amazing cold too. They pair perfectly with dips, salads, sandwiches, soups, pasta dishes, chili, pizza, burgers, tacos, quesadillas, nachos, and much more.
Why should I make my tater tots in the air fryer?
Air-fried potatoes have a crispy exterior and a tender interior. You can enjoy all the benefits of air-fried food without having to worry about burning yourself. Plus, it takes only 15 minutes to cook up this delicious meal.
What is the difference between deep fat frying vs. air frying?
- Deep Fat Fried Foods require lots of cooking oil and high temperatures. As a result, most people find deep-frying difficult to master. The process requires constant attention and monitoring so that foods do not burn. On the other hand, air-fried foods need little or no cooking oil at all. Instead, they rely solely on convection currents created by fans inside an electric cooker.
- Deep-fat frying has been around since ancient times. But today, we know better than ever before. We now understand what causes unhealthy fats to form within our bodies. And we also know how to avoid those harmful substances altogether. In fact, there are many health risks associated with deep-fat fried foods. This includes heart disease, diabetes, cancer, obesity, stroke, and even death.
- Also, air frying does not necessarily require any oils whatsoever. There are absolutely zero trans fats found in this method. Because of this, air-fried foods are healthier than their deep-fried counterparts.
- In addition, air frying uses far fewer energy resources compared to traditional methods. Deep-frying needs large amounts of fuel for each batch of fries while air frying relies entirely on electricity. Therefore, using an air fryer saves money and reduces carbon emissions.
So whether you prefer deep-fried foods or air-fried ones, here are 8 reasons why you should try making them in the air fryer:
1) Air fryers are easy to use
2) No oils required
3) Convenient cooking method
4) Saves money & reduce carbon emissions
5) Safe for kids
6) Offers great Food Quality
7) Cooks Faster Than Traditional Methods
8) They are fun to eat
Tater tots are one of the most preferred snacks. However, some people don’t like eating them because they think they aren’t healthy enough. Tater tots are made out of white potatoes which contain carbohydrates, protein, vitamins, minerals, dietary fibers, antioxidants, and essential fatty acids.
So if you want to eat something nutritious while still enjoying your favorite snack, then these tasty treats are perfect for you. If you follow this guide carefully, you will simply get amazing results. You will be astonished by how easy it is to air fry tater tots at home.