Seasoned fried sweet potatoes are a great side dish to serve with any meal. They can be served as an appetizer or snack, and they make the perfect accompaniment to your favorite sandwich. Seasoning sweet potato fries vary from person to person; some people like them very salty while others prefer them lightly seasoned.
So, what is the best seasoning for sweet potato fries? The answer depends on how you want to eat them and the flavors that you want.
If you would rather have the fries sprinkled with salt before serving, I recommend using a light sprinkle of sea salt. The salt will give the fries just enough flavor without overpowering their natural sweetness. You could also try sprinkling them with cayenne pepper instead of sea salt. Cayenne peppers add a nice kick that complements the naturally sweet taste of sweet potatoes.
For more flavors, add intense seasonings such as garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder, or more, according to your preference. Also, keep in mind which type of fryer you own. Some fryers come equipped with a non-stick coating, so there won’t be much need for additional oil when frying these fries. But other fryers require extra oil because they don’t contain this feature. To avoid having excess grease splatter onto your kitchen countertop, always check the instructions included with your particular model of the fryer.
What flavors go well with sweet potatoes?
Sweet potatoes pair perfectly with many different flavors, including:
• Bacon – The combination of bacon and sweet potatoes makes a perfect combination. Try adding slices of cooked bacon along with chopped green onions to top off your sweet potato fries.
• Cheese – Add cheese to your sweet potato fries by topping them with shredded Cheddar cheese after cooking. It adds another layer of deliciousness to your already tasty treat.
• Chili – A little bit of heat goes nicely with sweet potatoes. Serve up some spicy sweet potato fries topped with salsa and sour cream.
• Garlic – Garlic has been used since ancient times to improve health and prevent disease. Adding minced garlic to your sweet potato fries gives them a wonderful aroma and flavor.
• Onion – When combined with sweet potatoes, onions create a deliciously savoury side dish. Top your sweet potato fries with sliced red onions and drizzle with olive oil.
How to season and make sweet potato fries
Sweet potatoes can easily become bland if not seasoned properly. Add enough seasoning to enhance the tuber’s natural sweetness without overpowering its delicate flavor. These ingredients are all you need;
- 1 lb sweet potatoes
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Sour cream
- Salsa/hot sauce
- Onion Powder
- Cayenne Pepper
- Ground Black Pepper
- Minced Garlic
- Lemon Juice
- Freshly Grated Parmesan Cheese
- Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- Crumbled Goat Cheese
1. Wash and peel sweet potatoes. Cut each one lengthwise into 8 wedges. If desired, slice off any rough edges on the ends.
2. Heat oil in a large skillet. In batches, fry potatoes for about 3 minutes per side, turning once, until golden brown. Transfer to paper towels to drain. Sprinkle with additional salt and pepper to taste before serving.
3. Drizzle the remaining tablespoon of oil onto the same pan. Add chopped onions and saute for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add in garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne pepper, lemon juice, and butter. Cook for another minute. Remove from heat and set aside.
4. In a bowl, combine sour cream, salsa, or hot sauce. Set aside.
Place sweet potatoes on a prepared baking sheet.
5. Preheat the oven to 400°F. Put the tubers in the oven. Bake for 15 – 20 minutes, flipping halfway through cooking time. The potatoes should be tender but still, hold their shape. Let cool slightly, and then transfer to a plate.
6. Drizzle with reserved dressing. Top with crumbles of goat cheese, shredded mozzarella cheese, parmesan cheese, etc. Serve as desired.
- If your sweet potatoes aren’t as soft as you’d like, place them back in the microwave for 30 seconds at a time until they reach your preferred consistency.
- To keep these fries crispier longer, store them in an airtight container after cooling completely.
Seasoning for sweet potato fries has never been this easy. Our guide makes it simple by showing how to prepare delicious sweet potato fries using only five basic ingredients. Advantageously, it only takes 10 minutes to cook. If seasoning isn’t something you do often, try making these fries, and you’ll definitely love the treat.